Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Long Term Food Storage

In article >,
says...

> On 5/22/2012 2:28 PM, Dr. John Burge wrote:
> > We are storing up food (and water) for an all out long-term emergency.
> > We have stored 100 gallons of water and have constructed a rain water
> > harvesting system. Additionally we have racked up a number of canned
> > goods and staples as well as a large supply of MRE's and dehydrated
> > foods. We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> > large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> > critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> > corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> > storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> > (months and years)? Thanks.
> >

> What about plastic bins? I'm sure if critters want to get in they can,
> but it makes it harder.

He means insects mites and weevils etc, which are often already "in"
grains etc, from bulk handling plants. Keeping a 56 lb sack of rice or
flour in a plastic bin, warm and dry, is like sending all those mites and
weevils on a luxury holiday cruise for a year; nothing to do but lie
around eating and having sex.

Janet.