Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default [TN] Enjoying da spoof (2010 Albariño)

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> Curioser and curioser, Santiago. I saw that the winery was in La
> Rioja, but are the grapes? Valles del Sadacia (VdlT, isn't it? not
> D.O.?)

You are correct! it is a VdlT

rules call for 85% Moscatel de Grano Menudo or Moscatel de
> Alejandría if I read the rules correctly, so I suppose that's why the
> wine isn't labeled as VdlT Valles del Sadacia. It would make some
> sense that the grapes do come from there given their ripeness, though.

According to the following press kit:

http://vintae.es/wp-content/uploads/...vds_ing_ok.pdf

they have already planted several white varieties, including Albariño, in
La Rioja (the region) which can be marketed under the VdlT Valles del
Sadacia.

It namely says:

===
Valles de Sadacia has bet for a varietal catalogue that includes
the most recognized white varieties worldwide. It started recovering the
Muscat à Petits Grains, a local variety lost to the phylioxera. Now
Muscat à Petits Grains is showing all its potential with fresh
and fruity wines, adapted to the taste of today’s consumers. On
the other hand, new varieties have been introduced such as Albariño
or Verdejo together with other international varieties such as Chardonnay,
Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Riesling o Gewürztraminer, some of which are
still in an experimental stage
===

While Albariño has been a traditional variety from Galice, I do not see why
it could not work in other places. However, both the soils and the climate
in Rioja is quite different from those in Galice.

It is interesting to know that Albariño is one grape that shares one
characteristic with Riesling: they both work well when harvested under high
yields. I do not mean they are the same varieties or that they are close
members of the same family (I think this has been discarded through DNA
tests), even if there was a nice story about Albariño been brought to
Galice by pilgrims that did the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela from
the northern Europe.

This thread has made me want to try one bottle of this wine. I wonder if I
will be able to find it locally.

Regards,

Santiago