Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Burgundy, Mosel, and Alsace

With bucatini with stinging nettles in a cream and mushroom sauce, the 2004 JM Brocard “Montmains” Chablis 1er. The usual white Burgundy jitters, but this is on the fresh side of maturity. Lemon curd, mineral, good balance of acidity and full fruit.On day 2 there’s a bit of a cheesy note, but nothing that detracts, nice wine. B+

With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts, and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels, though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one might expect and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in vinegar crock, but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+

Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C

Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively deep with snappy but integrated acidity, bright citrus and green apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.