Old 17-05-2012, 01:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Kalmia Kalmia is offline

Default Slate: "How young can a child be and still learn how to cook?"

On May 16, 10:51*am, George Leppla wrote:
On 5/15/2012 6:09 PM, Lenona wrote:

Almost no one has a good answer to the question of when children can
make a real contribution in the kitchen—the actual work of getting
dinner on the table. Instead, cookbooks for children seem to treat the
eighth birthday as endowing some sort of mystical kitchen
capabilities. But.......

When I was 8 years old, my Mom went back to work and my Grandmother came
to live with us. *Grandma couldn't walk well, so when I got home from
school, it was my job to help her get supper ready. She would sit at the
kitchen table and we would cook. *It wasn't too long before I was able
to make the entire meal myself. *I guess that is where I got my love for
cooking.... those afternoons with my Grandma. *She passed away when I
was 12 but by then, I was doing pretty much all the cooking for the
family during the week.

Good for you. Every woman should have a guy who can and likes to cook.