Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default Slate: "How young can a child be and still learn how to cook?"

On 5/15/2012 6:09 PM, Lenona wrote:

> Almost no one has a good answer to the question of when children can
> make a real contribution in the kitchen—the actual work of getting
> dinner on the table. Instead, cookbooks for children seem to treat the
> eighth birthday as endowing some sort of mystical kitchen
> capabilities. But.......

When I was 8 years old, my Mom went back to work and my Grandmother came
to live with us. Grandma couldn't walk well, so when I got home from
school, it was my job to help her get supper ready. She would sit at the
kitchen table and we would cook. It wasn't too long before I was able
to make the entire meal myself. I guess that is where I got my love for
cooking.... those afternoons with my Grandma. She passed away when I
was 12 but by then, I was doing pretty much all the cooking for the
family during the week.

My first real job was when I was 15... working in the kitchen of a
Howard Johnson's restaurant, first as a dish washer, then a cook.

George L