Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Slate: "How young can a child be and still learn how to cook?"

On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:26:13 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> One theory I read years ago which has consistently proven correct --
> when the kids want to help, let them help, even if you think they're
> way too young. Else you may quench their helping urge entirely. And if
> you have to redo their work, don't let them see you.

I can say "that's the truth". My DIL wasn't allowed to help and as a
young adult was "kicked out" of the kitchen if what she tried to do
didn't measure up. My son and I taught her how to cook (she was a
willing student) and she's excellent now.

> Last week I was in the Trader Joe's checkout line behind the mother of
> two. The little girl sitting in the cart facing me -- thus tiny -- was
> reaching around and handing things to the cashier. (Trader Joe's has
> no conveyor belts for the customers to empty their carts into.)

My son's children do that too and I love it! I can't remember my kids
doing that. They were more focused on the candy next to the register.