Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default How much protein do you eat?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> That seems to be the amount of carbs that I need. If I eat any less
>>> my BG goes up waaaay too high. Like into the 300's. Low carbing
>>> simply does not work for me. My BG is back down now. Thankfully no
>>> hypos yet but much more in the normal range.

>> I meant Angela actually. I can't see how that diet could possibly
>> reduce her insulin. And she will be adding even more by the end of
>> the week. It would also be defeating the purpose of taking Metformin
>> and a very good reason why she was getting the diarrhoea.

> The diet isn't supposed to reduce her insulin. It's to make her lose
> weight. AFAIK she has lost 10 pounds. Could be more. I don't think
> she has weighed herself for a few days. Then if all works as it
> should, if she gets her weight down, her insulin level will go down.
>>
>> I would be reducing the starches, fruit and beans and concentrating
>> more on the animal protein and other veggies. If the hyperinsulimenia
>> isn't treated properly then full blown type 2 could be just around
>> the corner. Who is prescribing this kind of diet?

> That is not a balanced diet and the book says no one should eat like
> that more than two weeks at a time. It's the South Beach diet and it
> was prescribed by her gastroenterologist. I don't think eating 3
> servings of fruit and 3 servings of whole grains per day is a lot of
> carbs.

Coupled with beans it is and definitely is for someone with
hyperinsulinemia. South Beach diet isn't a good diet for type 2's or
people with hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance etc.
Its actually getting pretty close to te old ADA style dietary
recommendations.

I thought she had already lost a lot of weight (way more than 10
pounds?). While weight loss is a good way to reduce insulin, it
shouldn't be counteracted by a carby diet. When I lost my 45kg with
reduced calories AND reduced carb it improved the hyperinsulinemia but
didn't take it away altogether, that only happened when I reduced carbs
even further. My carb level was getting close to Atkins' induction for
that past few weeks. Not something I could have done for any great
length of time but it was necessary to do the job. IMO a weight loss
diet (lowered calories) AND a lowered carb diet are necessary (along
with some sort of regular exercise) to attack the problem. prevention of
diabetes and conditions like pcos is worth so much more than having to
treat it once it rears its head.