Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How much protein do you eat?

I was reading a magazine yesterday and it said as we age we need more
protein to help protect our bones. Said a woman who is 5'4" and 154 pounds
should eat 77 grams of protein a day. Then went on to say that most meats
have 28 grams per 3 oz. serving. Beans have only 18 grams per serving.

I am screwed. I have maybe 2 servings of beans per day and at breakfast I
have flaxseeds and chia seeds. There is some protein in those things but I
would think not a lot. I've also had some cashews and soaked walnuts.

I am finding it very hard to get protein into my diet. I can not eat any
eggs, dairy, chicken or fish. I have done very little cooking since Angela
started on this diet. She has been eating canned refried beans (no fat),
canned kidney beans, hummus, some Italian soup made of white kidney beans
and tomatoes that is very expensive and comes in a jar (must find recipe for
that), tuna, cooked chicken, turkey, beef, beef jerky with no sugar, plenty
of veggies (mainly raw) and recently added in whole grains and fruits.
Tomorrow she will have two fruits and two grains per day and by the end of
the week it will be three of each.

Then perhaps I can start cooking some things that we both can eat. I
haven't done very well in restaurants either because we haven't dined out
much and we haven't been to places where I normally order meat.

I've mostly been eating bean tacos and hummus with flat bread.