View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Clare, Chenin, Cotes, Carneros, Chablis

We had made a foray to HMart, and invited friends over for first time to do shabu-shabu at home. I made dashi, with a quart of chicken stock to deepen flavors, brought to a boil and then put on table in a slow cooker set on high (worked well). We dipped our beef and lamb slices, then added shiitakes, king oyster shrooms, napa cabbage, and tofu. Rice and assorted banchan on the side. An assortment of wines made appearances:

NV Pinon Non-Dose Vouvray Brut
Crisp, yeasty, very good. B+

2008 O’Leary Walker Polish Hill Riesling
Lime, ginger, and mineral, screwcapped, nice mid-bodied dry Riesling. B

2005 Havens “Hudson” Syrah (Carneros) 375 ml
Ripe dark berry fruit, leather and a touch of barnyard, a touch clipped. B-

1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+

Last night I did Cornish hens with a citrus/Marsala gravy, with leftover vegetables and soup. Wine was the 2005 Fevre “Bougros - Cote de Bougerots” Chablis GC. Fevre has had lots of PremOx problems, so figured should work on these, this particular bottle was fresh and young. Beautiful white and citrus fruits, chalky minerality, very long. Full-bodied, satisfying, intricate. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.