Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino

On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:31:47 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. We sat
> in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. I
> decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> and exotic spices. The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. Flavors
> of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. Well balanced and
> tasty. "B++"

This was served blind at a SOBER dinner a few years ago. I liked- these were my notes:

" Wine #6 Nose here is also exotic, with sandalwood and coffee. Ripe and big, some vanilla but not overwhelming. Gets smooth and chocolately with a little air. Really quite nice, and rather ready. A-/B+. It's the 1997 Pertimali/Livio Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino.
/......./ The '97 showed much better than any other '97 Brunello I've tried recently (Antinori Pian delle Vigne, etc). "

I'm not really a fan of 97 Brunello, but this one seems to be quite good