Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural,uk.politics.animals
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default ANIMAL RIGHTS BILL 1 - Tom Regan speaks.

On Apr 28, 1:00*pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message

> > On Apr 27, 8:06 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >> "Rupert" > wrote

> >> On what do you base this?

> > She has discussions about it with her caregivers.

> They don't know what she is thinking, if anything.

How do you know?

> >> No, not like that, human awareness is not like non-human awareness. <I
> >> was
> >> going to elaborate but I shouldn't have to>

> > I didn't say that her awareness was similar to ours in every respect.
> > I said it was a property we had in common, which is true.

> So what? Fruit flies are aware of various aspects of the world too.

Ball claimed that animals are not aware of the world, which is obvious
rubbish. You may think it is a trivial point, if so take up the matter
with Ball who brought up the subject.

> > Also, her
> > awareness of the world is quite similar to what Ball's son's awareness
> > of the world was at the age of two.

> So you repeat the AMC again and again, but that doesn't make it a valid
> argument.

I didn't repeat the AMC, I made a correct assertion. If Ball wants to
claim that Koko is not aware of the world then he should also claim
that his son was not aware of the world at the age of two.

> >> His son possessed the capability to become a PhD in mathematics or a
> >> great
> >> philosopher or musician, the ape is permanently two years old.

> > I think Ball's son is retarded, isn't he?

> > Koko is learning the letters of the alphabet, she is not "permanently
> > two years old". She has less potential for cognitive development than
> > Ball's son, even if I am correct that Ball's son is retarded. So what?

> Cognitively impaired humans may still possess the capability of higher
> cognition, so we err on the safe side.

What's "higher cognition" exactly?

> >> All unsupported supposition.

> > No.

> Yes, the interpretations of her trainers have been discredited by other
> researchers. She mimics them.

Which other researchers?