Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sticker shock

On 4/26/12 1:24 PM, Bi!! wrote:

> Hi Mark. Much of that was just tongue in cheek....you to will be over
> 60 some day!! ;-) I was really referring to the classified stuff that
> I used to buy in case lots...I had stopped buying first growths a few
> years prior when pricing jumped in the 2000 vintage. I find that many
> classified Bordeaux in the "great" vintage years ( and I don't know
> what that means anymore since it seems that every other year is the
> vintage of the century) need at least 10 years in the cellar for my
> tastes but I'm just now drinking Cal Cabs from the mid to late 90's as
> well as many Rhone and Bordeaux wines.

Yeah, I figured as much, Bill, but just had to weigh in anyway.
Clearly, the solution is for me to find my way out to Columbus to help
you polish some of those wines lingering in your cellar! ;-) For the
most part, I agree with you. More and more I am shying away from the
"great" vintages in favor of the "leaner" years, for reasons of taste,
pricing and life expectancy ;-)

Mark Lipton