Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Sticker shock

On Apr 25, 3:16*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> >> I'm with you here. Not buying any wines that need 20 years of age as I
> >> may never drink them.- Hide quoted text -

> > I guess that's the wine geeks way of saying don't buy green bananas!

> Not that I'm trying to dissuade either of you, but when I look at my CT
> data, I find that the _latest_ start date for a drinking window of any
> of the wines in my cellar is 2020 (for, of all things, a 2007 Stony
> Hills Chardonnay!). *That means that all of the wines I now own will be
> drinkable (according to CT, which usually underestimates readiness to my
> tastes) before I turn 65 -- even my Dunn Howell Mountains! ;-) *Unless
> one is buying old school Barolo or Madiran or First Growth Bordeaux
> (bringing this thread full circle) I don't see many wines that wouldn't
> be approachable at the very least in 5 years' time. *Now, the bang for
> the buck argument I understand all too well.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Hi Mark. Much of that was just tongue in cheek....you to will be over
60 some day!! ;-) I was really referring to the classified stuff that
I used to buy in case lots...I had stopped buying first growths a few
years prior when pricing jumped in the 2000 vintage. I find that many
classified Bordeaux in the "great" vintage years ( and I don't know
what that means anymore since it seems that every other year is the
vintage of the century) need at least 10 years in the cellar for my
tastes but I'm just now drinking Cal Cabs from the mid to late 90's as
well as many Rhone and Bordeaux wines.