Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sticker shock

On 4/25/12 9:23 AM, DaleW wrote:

> I think the scariest thing is that it's so bad that $80/Gruaud and
> $90-$110/LeoBarton are being held up as reasonable! I paid $45 for
> highly ballyhooed 2003 Barton (04 same price) 2001 was last Gruaud I
> bought, $28. Those are definitely outpacing inflation!

Hmmm... I think that the estimated prices I saw were lower than those
($50-60 IIRC) but your point is still well taken. It is now the rare
Grand Cru Classé that retails for less than three digits. As much as I
love some of the Cru Bourgeois, it still pains me that so many of these
wines are now out of reach for me and, by extension, with the vast
majority of the wine drinking public. Oh, well.

Mark Lipton