View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Rieslings, Meyney, Marietta, and TMI

On Apr 20, 1:17*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Some friends moved to Asheville NC last year, but they return off, and an informal dinner club has gotten together each visit- seems I see these people more than I did before they moved! Sunday the group met in Riverdale, we picked up Joe and Rachel and headed down. I had made three plates of canapes (burrata with olivada, burrata and prosciutto, and mizuma/duck rillettes/red currant). On the way down Rachel tells me she has discovered a cool type of cheese called burrata and brought as an appetizer. Oops! It’s fine, never too much burrata. Main course was a beef daube, with an elaborate chopped salad. I wasn’t drinking much due to driving, so just tasted couple of *wines
>
> NV Marietta Old Vines Lot 56
> Better than another recent Marietta (i think *lot 55) for my tastes, a bit simple but pleasant brambly fruit with enough acid. B-
>
> 1986 Ch. Meyney
> Double-decanted a bit before we left. Classic bottle of an old favorite, sweet black fruit with cigarbox and damp earth, tannins in check, good length. B+/A-
> 2010 Darting Durkheimer Michelsberg Riesling Kabinett
>
> Darting’s Rieslings are always decent and priced well, but they seldom excite me, and this continues the trend. Ripe yellow fruits, good acids, but relatively short and I yawn a little. B-
>
> I’m in love with H-Mart! Stopped by the huge new Korean/Asian grocery, picked up daikon, Chinese mustard greens, enoki, and tofu to make a meatless Monday dinner. Wine was the 2002 Leitz *Rudesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett. Wow, some serious acids still lurking here, but lovely citrus and white nectarine fruit is enough to balance. Still young, delicious. B+/A-
>
> Pad thai and seaweed salad and the *2007 Schafer-Frohlich Bockenauer Felseneck Spatlese Goldkapsul. A bit of matchstick blows off, full and rich, good acidity, needs time but I can drink now. B+ with potential for greatness (if I can stop drinking)
>
> I turned 50 not so long ago, time yesterday for the dreaded test. Night *before the NV HalfLytely prep (cherry flavor), fruit way way in the background, all chalk and saline, but I really hate the finish. F
>
> Whew, glad that’s over. Last night Betsy made chicken schnitzel, the word schnitzel sent my mind to Austria, so 2005 F.X. Pichler “Von den Terrassen” Riesling Federspiel. Ripe lemon and quince fruit (I’m sure this is totally dry, but the fruit gives an almost off-dry edge), long and minerally. Sorry this is apparently only bottle I have. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I opted for the Lemon Lime. Nice citrus on the front, chalky
minerality on the rear. Nice finish.