Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '07 Amisfield Pinot Noir

One of the standout experiences I had in New Zealand was tasting barrel
samples at Amisfield in Central Otago. Because of luggage restrictions,
though, I was unable bring back any of their most excellent Pinot
Noirs with us from NZ. Two nights ago, Jean ventured into our only
decent local wine store in search of NZ Sauvignons and stumbled upon the
title wine for sale for a most reasonable $28.50. To assess our
opportunity better, tonight we opened it with a dinner of venison-black
bean chili:

2007 Amisfield Pinot Noir
nose: sappy pine resin, bright red berry fruit
palate: black cherries, medium body, refreshing acidity, velvety tannins

Just as light and lithe as the '08 Jean and I had in NZ and the barrel
samples of the '11 that I tasted with Ian and Jacquie Hoare. Truly an
outstanding NZ Pinot Noir and a bargain at the price.

Mark Lipton