Dar V

Default Cherry wine

Hi,
You can make cherry wine. It is a bit different than making the wine with
the Welch's frozen concentrate. I started with the Welch's to learn a few
things before I moved on to making wine with fruit. I kind of look at it as
you're graduating to a new level of wine-making, with its difficulties as
well as its rewards. It sounds like what you did might work, but I don't
know how it is going to turn out. Has it started to ferment (bubble)? You
might need yeast nutrient to help the must start; campden tablets to fight
off any undesirable beasties in the cherries, and pectin enzyme to make sure
it doesn't turn into jelly. I would get a bung & an airlock for your
winemaking now to keep things a bit more sterile. You might want to check
out Jack's site http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp - he's got recipe
to follow. Good-luck.
Darlene

"Dwayne" > wrote in message
> Hi. I want to tell you what I did and you tell me if I messed up or did

OK.

> I have made wine using 2 cans Welsh's frozen grape juice concentrate in a
> gallon jug. I put in the yeast, sugar, juice from a lemon, and added

water
> till it was full. Then I capped it with a balloon over the top. I have
> done this 3 times and the wine came out OK.
>
> We just picked a bunch of cherries and after sorting them out for canning,

> juiced the rest. When I got done, I put some yeast, 4 cups of sugar, and

> couple tablespoons of lemon concentrate into a gallon apple juice jug,

mixed
> it all up till the sugar was dissolved, and filled it the rest of the way
> with strained cherry juice.
>
> Did I do OK, or since the cherry juice was fresh, not concentrated, did I
> mess it up? I tried making choke cherry wine by putting whole

chokecherries
> in a "primary", then squeezing out the juice and putting it in a gallon

jug