Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_3_] st.helier[_3_] is offline

Default Prof. Lipton sent packing from NZ

Yesterday, at the end of their 3 months sabbatical in Christchurch, at the
onset of autumn in Godzone, Profs. Lipton, Chmielewski with Prof.Jnr Andrew
in tow, fled NZ bound for the familiarity of thunderstorm stricken
Lafayette, IN.

Despite protestations by the esteemed Professor that delays at O'Hare,
Chicago (en route to Indianapolis) were weather related, Lord St.Helier has
learned that, in fact, a larger aircraft was needed to carry the excess
baggage accumulated by these intrepid travellers (I mean, how can three
persons, weighing-in at a total of 160kg check-in with 500kg of baggage? Did
your card require a special authorisation? :-)

The NZ constabulary are investigating the removal of a kitchen sink from Hot
Water Beach, Coromandel, while Martinborough Vineyards are mystified at the
disappearance of the contents of an entire barrique of their 2011 Pinot
Noir.

Nonetheless, His Lordship can announce that the visiting party spent their
last night in NZ mulling over the question "Is NZ the new Alsace?" - with
not a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir to be found.

With a menu comprising totally of seafood (kokoda/ceviche/poisson cru
followed by grilled spiced salmon with spinach ravioli and a dessert of
brown trout and jellyfish) - His Lordship dispensed with formalities and
"plonked" three bagged bottles of white on the table for evaluation.

'08 Lawsons Dry Hills Riesling - off-dry; very appealing "petrol" nose
'10 Johanneshof Gewurztraminer - very subdued to start but improved with
time.
'11 Main Divide Pinot Gris - second label of Pegasus Bay, on the medium side
of off-dry - but this was gorgeous.

Decided to open a pink

'11 Martinborough Vineyard Rosé (500ml) - 100% Pinot Noir - bone dry, great
pinot flavours.

With dessert

"08 Trinity Hill Noble Viognier - wow - botrytis with a capital B - lush,
ripe apricot and lychee - scarce as rocking-horse s**t but worth the effort
to find if you can.

As to the question posed, deliberation raged way into the night - His
Lordship's memory is a blank - he has no idea what conclusions (if any) were
reached.

Come back soon, Mark - and bring that gorgeous woman of yours.

I shall arrange for a few days sailing in the Bay of Islands.

As to my namesake - leave him behind - far too clever for my liking :-))

--

st.helier