Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

Default "Speciesism" - nothing wrong with it

On 4/10/2012 3:54 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:50 pm, George > wrote:

>>> I don't understand this.

Yes, you do.

>>> What exactly are the premises of the argument from species normality?

>> Above you wrote, "The argument from species normality is flawed." Do
>> you mean to say you wrote that without knowing what the premises are?
>> That seems very reckless and irresponsible.
>>

> I believe that one of the premises of the argument from species
> normality is that the moral consideration an individual should get is
> determined by what characteristics are typical for that individual's
> species, and I believe that it is possible to construct thought-
> experiments which show this premise to be problematic.

Have a go at it.

>>> It would probably do both.

>> No.

>>> The burden of proof is on the *defender* of speciesism.

>> The burden of proof is on the "ar" extremists who claim non-human
>> animals deserve equal moral consideration.

> Wrong. If you think that you belong to a special group whose interests
> deserve more consideration than those of other groups, the burden is
> on you to explain why.

Nope. As the overwhelming majority - 99% + - of people believe that it
is correct to give more consideration to the interests of members of
their species than to members of other species, you're going to have to
make a case for why they're wrong. The burden is on you. The
presumption that our interests should receive greater consideration is
the champion; your position is the challenger. The challenger must
defeat the champion, or the champion remains champion by default.
That's how it works.

The burden is on you, and you can't meet it - you merely assume the very
thing you must demonstrate. You lose.