Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler[_3_] Denny Wheeler[_3_] is offline

Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:04:44 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

>I have the late model Weber Smokey Mtn. It has a very large water pan. When
>full, and you have it to a simmer it will maintain a 225F temp for at least
>6 hours without touching it.

I have that unit also. Except that I have sand (covered with foil) in
the 'water pan'. I have no problem maintaining a normal smoking temp
(250 is what I usually run, though for fowls I prefer more like 300)
for hours--won't say a number 'cause I've not timed it for 'how long
can I go'.

The main factor in temp control isn't 'what's in the pan'--it's the
vents. And keeping from going high early, as it's a lot harder to
'tune down' than to 'tune up'.

But Kent--we know you're not going to take anyone's word. So.
Try putting clean (sold as 'playground' or 'sandbox' sand at HD or
Lowe's or such) sand in the water pan, filled about 2/3 or so full,
then use wide HD foil to cover it and create a drip pan above the
sand.

Until you've actually done a couple or more smokes this way, you're
speaking from pure ignorance. Not that you seem to mind doing so.