Dave Bell

Default All purpose --> bread flour substitution

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Charles Baker wrote:

> BREAD FLOUR is milled from either hard red spring or hard red winter wheat.
> It is high in protein (typically 11.5 to 13.5% protein) that forms
>
> ALL PURPOSE (AP) FLOUR is not always used by professional pastry chefs.
> However, it is sold in the foodservice industry as H&R Flour, which stands
> for Hotel and Restaurant Flour. AP typically has between 9.5 to 11.5%
> protein, but this can vary with the brand. While AP flour is often made
>
> Charles Baker (that is my real last name).

As you may have seen in a recent thread, I have been trying to find good
traditional bread recipes I can adapt to using White Spelt flour. The main
problem I have seems to be a weak gluten, and presumably, low protein
level. I checked the flour analysis for the VitaSpelt product I use, and
the total protein seems quite reasonable, 13.3% for white, and 14.3% for
whole grain. ( http://www.purityfoods.com/index2.html )

Is this directly comparable to the numbers above? Any thoughts on
improving my results with Spelt yeast breads?

Thanks!

Dave