Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Strong egg taste in cheese cake

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:53:36 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> On 2012-03-28 15:05:47 +0000, Wang Xu said:
>
> > Thank you for your answers and sorry for my late replay.
> >
> > The following is my recipe:
> >
> > 250g cream cheese,
> > 2 eggs (about 70g per egg),
> > 90g sugar,
> > 15g cron starch,
> > 120g cream,
> > 2tb lemon juice
> >
> > The base is made of digestive biscuits and butter.
> >
> > I think probably the reason is my metal model. It is a cheap one, so
> > probably the cake reacted with it and made itself became very eggy.

Try bringing your crust up the sides and see what happens. Prebake
the crust a few minutes before you put the filling in to prevent
sogginess. A water bath only needs to come halfway up the side of
whatever it is you're baking.

> > From your answers, I think maybe I made two mistakes in water bath:
> > First one is both water bath and corn starch are used. In a webpage
> > called "simple secrets to prefect cheesecake" ( http://goo.gl/je5uS ),
> > it is said "If your cheesecake batter has starch in the recipe (flour
> > or cornstarch), you do not need a water bath".
> >
> > Second one is the fan in the oven was not used, while water bath is
> > used. I noticed there was a lot of steam in the oven. However, one fact
> > is strange. If the taste is caused by the steam, why only the edge of
> > the cake tastes eggy and the center is good?
> >
> > Thank you again.
> > Xu

> The lemon juice is 2 tablespoons, not 2teaspoon.

It looks like a standard cheesecake recipe to me. Try protecting your
cheesecake from the metal by bringing the crust up the sides.

As you have read, you can bake cheesecake without a water bath. I
never bother with that (and I don't bother with a starch either), even
when baking it in a springform pan. Take your cheesecake out when the
middle jiggles like jello and the sides are slightly puffed. Finish
it off with a layer of sour cream (requires 10 minutes more in the
oven) or maybe some lemon curd, cool and refrigerate overnight. The
resulting cheesecake is creamy and moist, not mealy and dry the way a
lot of cheesecakes are.
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....heesecakes.cfm