Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Glen Glen is offline

Default "vegan" arrogance and egotism

On 23/03/2012 17:44, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:56:09 -0700, George > wrote:

>>> The
>>> belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
>>> merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth has been
>>> demonstrated to be illogical and false.

>> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
>> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
>> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

*BUSTED*

> I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
> does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
> consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
> form of pollution,

It is. You know it is. Dumping garbage is pollution.

>then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
> pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
> pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
> creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
> by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
> than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
> stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
> don't know.

Vegans intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth. But they're not entitled to believe they're
better, according to your rules. You intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful
reduction in pollution merely by *not* putting garbage in one's garbage bin. But you're fully
entitled to believe you're better, according to the different rules you follow. It obvious that you
have one rule for vegans while following a different rule. You measure your virtue by comparing your
garbage bin to other's garbage bins, but you don't allow vegans to measure their virtue by comparing
their shopping cart to other's shopping carts. St. Derek reveals your double standard here and
proves that is you who is arrogant and egotistical, not the vegans you're too keen to malign.

>> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
>> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
>> think you're better than them because you recycle?

> In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
> out of landfills.

Better than who, the unethical scumbags who don't recycle? So that's your game is it? You *DO* think
you're more virtuous, *better* than others by comparing your efforts to reduce something you believe
is bad to the efforts, or lack of, of others. You're a hypocrite. An arrogant and egotistical
hypocrite. Start believing in your own bullshit before telling others to live by it.