Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink
Doug Anderson Doug Anderson is offline

Default jargon

Mike Tommasi > writes:

> On 23/03/2012 15:56, Doug Anderson wrote:
> >
> > Pinot noir tends to be acidic and not tannic. Valpolicella
> > also tends to be acidic and not tannic.

> Sorry, I disagree Doug... in a nice way of course :-)

I'm guilty of over-generalizing.

> Does the lower colour density imply lower tannin? I don't think there
> is ANY correlation. Macerate white grapes (vinify them as a red) and
> that (slightly off white) wine will be tannic too.
>
> Would you not agree that Burgundies ARE in fact tannic (and how!), and
> so is Amarone (and how!)...?

Sadly I've had too few Amarones to venture an opinion on them.

My experience with Burgundy is less limited but also quite limited
compared to yours and I've found them considerably less tannic than
(for example) Bordeaux, though of course this depends some on the
wine-making.

My experience with US PN, in particular from Oregon is considerable
and these wines are generally not particularly tannic.

> So I would say wine from PN is maybe SLIGHTLY less tannic than, say, a
> cab madewith the same technique, but I would not say they are NOT
> tannic.
>
> A better example of a definitely low tannin wine is Beaujolais.

Agreed.