Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink
Doug Anderson Doug Anderson is offline

Default jargon

RichD > writes:

> On Feb 12, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > > What does 'fat' vs. 'lean' mean, in a wine? *Can
> > > anyone recommend an example of each, which
> > > I can taste side by side? *Label and vintage, please.

> Sorry, I forgot about this one.
>
> > Fat vs. lean refers to the level of acidity in the wine. *A wine high in
> > acidity will taste "lean"; one low in acidity "fat." *This is further
> > modified by the degree of extraction (phenolic extract or dry extract)
> > in that wine, with the greater extraction reducing perceived leanness
> > and v.v.

> ok, that's helpful.
>
> > A good example of a "lean" wine is almost any Italian white
> > wine. *Pick up the latest vintage of a Bolla Soave.

> plonk?
>
> > For a "fat" wine, try a cheap Aussie Shiraz. *The lastest
> > version of Yellowtail Shiraz should serve admirably in that
> > regard (once you get past the sweetness
> > of the residual sugar).

> plonk?

Why this question? Certainly both are cheap and popular
wines - he was trying to give you examples that are easily
available and don't cost much.

I suppose I'd characterize Yellowtail as plonk, but so what?

> > > Also, what does structure mean?

> > Structure refers to the combination of acidity and tannins,
> > especially in the context of red wine, that help make a wine
> > ageworthy. *From a sensory perspective, structure is
> > associated with increased astringency
> > (bitterness) and increased sourness (acidity). *A highly structured
> > wine won't be very pleasant to taste in its youth, in most cases.

> That brings up another question - which wines are
> selected for aging, why, how? Which you've addressed.
> Is a wine produced with storage in mind, or is that
> decided after it comes out of the barrel?

Wines are produced with aging in mind, or (for the most
part) not.

> I mostly avoid red wines, on account of the tannins.
> That signals a wine intended for aging, to smooth
> out. But overwhelmingly, people drink them young.
> I don't get it - they enjoy a beverage which makes
> them pucker?
>
> Can you a suggest a wine which is acidic but not
> tannic, and vice versa?

Pinot noir tends to be acidic and not tannic. Valpolicella
also tends to be acidic and not tannic.

The aforementioned Yellowtail Shiraz is often tannic with less
acidity.