Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "vegan" arrogance and egotism

On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:56:09 -0700, George >
> wrote:

>>> What reasons do you have for thinking they are false?

>> We've been through that countless times, you time-wasting shitbag. The
>> belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
>> merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth has been
>> demonstrated to be illogical and false.

> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
form of pollution, then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
don't know.

> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
> think you're better than them because you recycle?

In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
out of landfills.