Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink
RichD RichD is offline

Default jargon

On Feb 12, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > What does 'fat' vs. 'lean' mean, in a wine? *Can
> > anyone recommend an example of each, which
> > I can taste side by side? *Label and vintage, please.

Sorry, I forgot about this one.

> Fat vs. lean refers to the level of acidity in the wine. *A wine high in
> acidity will taste "lean"; one low in acidity "fat." *This is further
> modified by the degree of extraction (phenolic extract or dry extract)
> in that wine, with the greater extraction reducing perceived leanness
> and v.v.

ok, that's helpful.

> A good example of a "lean" wine is almost any Italian white
> wine. *Pick up the latest vintage of a Bolla Soave.

plonk?

> For a "fat" wine, try a cheap Aussie Shiraz. *The lastest
> version of Yellowtail Shiraz should serve admirably in that
> regard (once you get past the sweetness
> of the residual sugar).

plonk?

> > Also, what does structure mean?

> Structure refers to the combination of acidity and tannins,
> especially in the context of red wine, that help make a wine
> ageworthy. *From a sensory perspective, structure is
> associated with increased astringency
> (bitterness) and increased sourness (acidity). *A highly structured
> wine won't be very pleasant to taste in its youth, in most cases.

That brings up another question - which wines are
selected for aging, why, how? Which you've addressed.
Is a wine produced with storage in mind, or is that
decided after it comes out of the barrel?

I mostly avoid red wines, on account of the tannins.
That signals a wine intended for aging, to smooth
out. But overwhelmingly, people drink them young.
I don't get it - they enjoy a beverage which makes
them pucker?

Can you a suggest a wine which is acidic but not
tannic, and vice versa?

> If you have more questions of this sort, you might want to invest
> in a good general knowledge guide to wine, such as Karen
> MacNeil's Wine Bible or Making Sense of Wine by Matt Kramer.

Will do -

--
Rich