Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default Always put quotes around "vegan"

On Mar 23, 7:53*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/22/2012 11:38 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> No less qualified than yours.

> > No more qualified than mine, either. You are at least as much of an
> > "unqualified goof" as I am when it comes to ethics.

> > I've taken an interest in moral philosophy and read a lot of books
> > about it.

> You have not studied the subject in a systematic, supervised and
> advanced level that would entitle you to blabber about it.

I have not undertaken formal postgraduate study of the subject, no.
It's not a question of being "entitled" to talk about it. You have not
undertaken formal postgraduate study of moral philosophy either but
you obviously think you are "entitled" to pontificate about it here.
If someone offers me some paid work giving a talk about ethics because
they think I might have something interesting to say, and I do not
misrepresent my qualifications at any stage of the process, then I am
perfectly "entitled" to take on the job.

The simple fact of the matter is that I have quite a good knowledge of
moral philosophy and can do that job just as well as someone who has
undertaken formal postgraduate study of the subject, just as I would
be in a good position to give lectures on mathematical logic and set
theory even though I am entirely self-taught in those subjects. You
can choose not to believe that if you wish. Your beliefs about the
matter don't strike me as being very interesting.