Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default Always put quotes around "vegan"

On Mar 21, 10:18*pm, Derek > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:59:31 -0700 (PDT), Rupert
>
> > wrote:
> >On Mar 21, 6:13*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> >> Then how are you ****ing away your time in Germany?

> >Doing research on topological twin buildings and topological groups.

> There must be an easy way to figure out how much walking area a goat
> has when tethered to the inside wall of a round enclosure measuring
> 30M in diameter with a 3M length of rope, but I can't find it.

Let theta be the angle subtended at the centre between the point at
which the goat is tethered and the furthest point south on the
circumference of the circle that the goat can reach.

3^2=15^2+15^2-2*15^2*cos theta by the cosine rule

cos theta=441/450

Now you want the area of a sector in a circle of radius 15, angle
2theta, minus the area of the corresponding isosceles triangle

And you also want the area of a sector in a circle of radius 3, angle
pi-theta, minus the area of the corresponding isosceles triangle

Are you saying they want an exact value? If they just want it to five
decimal places, say, you would just use the calculator at this point.