Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Electric smokers

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:49:46 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>>recommendations/warnings please.
>>
>>Young man wants an electric smoker to get started with a bit of smoking.
>>

> Unless he is in a hot climate and has restrictions on gas or charcoal,
> electric is a poor choice. Not much power and no control.

Both gas and charcoal are getting pretty expensive in California. Charcoal
is $.50/lb and propane is about $1/lb. Depending on your unit and the
outside temp. you can use a whole 20lb propane tank on one 15lb piece of
pork. To run my Weber Smokey Mtn I fill it with 10lb of charcoal and that
lasts 10 hours if I'm lucky, and less, with a large full water pan. I'd be
interested on thoughts about this. Do any use natural gas?

Kent