Old 14-03-2004, 05:48 AM
MayorMcCheapo

Default Bourbon/Whiskey opinions please

On the question of good burbons under $15:

A sensational bang for the buck is Jim Beam Black Label. Aged 8
years, it's darker, smoother, more caramel, and all around more
sophisticated than "White Label" (aka grocery store) Jim Beam. Note:
I love Maker's Mark but never understood the appeal of Knob Creek.

At other price points: I've enjoyed Whiskey River, and have an
absolute crush on Woodford Reserve. (Can't afford anything above
that.)

Beverage wrote in message ...
I realize that most drinks' "quality," like any product, depends on the
individual. I have found many reviews, and even some sites like
Epinions, but I still want more personal opinions (not based on
popularity). Please give your opinions and express if any products from
your experience are more hype than value:

Besides Jim Beam (white label), what are decent bourbons under $15?
*With ice/possibly mixed and intended for weekends.
---------

Better bargains (quality/price) and why:
Maker's Mark vs. Knob Creek?
George Dickel #8/#12 (is the difference worth it?) vs. Jack Daniels #7?
*Maybe ice/no mixers and intended for occasional consumption.
---------

I've heard that some bourbons/whiskeys have the same "mash bill," or
combination of ingredients/aging/etc., which may make some brands
virtually identical or very similar. Anyone with knowledge to offer a
comparison list?