Gunther Anderson

Default Brandy rec for liqueur-making?

Evan wrote:

> Gunther Anderson > wrote in message news:> I'll admit I don't have nearly as much experience working with orange
>
>>peels as I'd like. But how much is the rind actually like the flesh of
>>an orange? That is, do you really find rind-based liqueurs get some of
>>the flavor of the underlying fruit? It'd be cool if it worked that way,
>>but I have (unsubstantiated) doubts.

> Well, I would be inclined to doubt it as well, given how much I like
> citrus juice. However, every recipe I've ever seen for limoncello or
> grand marnier uses only the rind. Even the Grand Marnier website
> specifically lists macerated orange rinds as their infusion flavoring.
> So, I'm inclined to give it a try.

Oh, there's a good reason for using the rinds - the oils and flavors you
get out of the rinds are much more stable than the stuff in the juice.
It also doesn't dilute your alcohol like juice does. And finally, when
dissolved in alcohol, it just tastes more like real oranges. To get the
same effect with juice, you'd need to reduce it a lot to concentrate it
to the point that it would still taste like oranges when you added it to
vodka. Normally, juice and vodka (as a liqueur rathre than a cocktail)
just tastes like watery OJ. And it doesn't age well at all.

What I was wondering is how much the variations in peel come through in
the final liqueur, and how predictable they are - like do tangerine
peels taste like tangerines. Now, some liqueurs are pretty particular
about the oranges they use. Like Grand Marnier itself is all about
Seville orange rinds - a bitter, virtually inedible orange variety whose
rind is supposedly the only true way to make marmalade.

> Besides, think of how remarkable the aroma and flavor is of just a
> single strip of lemon rind twisted over a martini glass full of gin.
> A little lemon rind oil goes a *long* way.

Yup. Which is why you almost never see lemon juice in a liqueur recipe,
but lemon rind is everywhere...

>>One caveat about quartering tangerines is that you will be exposing the
>>liqueur to the dreaded white pith (even if just at the edges of the
>>quarters). You may find it more useful to throw peels and juice in a
>>jar, since I can't imagine you're going to get any nice flavors from the
>>inner membranes or seeds

> Possibly true. Though didn't you discover you needed the pulp, not
> just the juice, in pomegranate liqueur at least?

Yup. It was definitely key, and I think it was the tannins I was
getting. But I think you'll get the same benefit from the rind pf your
tangerines. However, if you've a mind to, go ahead. I'm always
interested in the results of fiendish experimentation.

> Anyway, thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to let you know how it
> goes. We've now collected 7L of vodka, 2L, a dozen jars, and 1000
> coffee filters, so we will probably begin experimenting this weekend.
> Costco is a heck of a resource. :-) Very much looking forward to it!

Cool. We're bottling some pomegranate this weekend (I need to go get
some bottles), and expermineting with Cinnamon Hearts liqueur - which is
basically a bag (7 oz) of cinnamon hearts powdered in a blender, added
to 2 cups of vodka, and then add water until you can drink it. Should
go over well at a hot foods party we're going to...

Gunther Anderson