Evan

Default Brandy rec for liqueur-making?

Gunther Anderson > wrote in message news:> I'll admit I don't have nearly as much experience working with orange

> peels as I'd like. But how much is the rind actually like the flesh of
> an orange? That is, do you really find rind-based liqueurs get some of
> the flavor of the underlying fruit? It'd be cool if it worked that way,
> but I have (unsubstantiated) doubts.

Well, I would be inclined to doubt it as well, given how much I like
citrus juice. However, every recipe I've ever seen for limoncello or
grand marnier uses only the rind. Even the Grand Marnier website
specifically lists macerated orange rinds as their infusion flavoring.
So, I'm inclined to give it a try.

Besides, think of how remarkable the aroma and flavor is of just a
single strip of lemon rind twisted over a martini glass full of gin.
A little lemon rind oil goes a *long* way.

Tangerines might need more effort, though, because their rinds are
relatively thin and dry, compared to oranges and lemons. I'll probably
try some jars with just rinds and some with chunks of fruit as well.
And yes, if they're not infused enough after 3-4 weeks, more rind and
fruit and back in the cupboard they go.

> If you decide to go with this option, I'd actually caution you about
> being too stingy with the spices. Not that you want to overpower the
> orange, but nor do you want to be too subtle here. Likewise, you can
> always add more orange peel. OK, I confess, I'm a fan of stronger
> flavors. When you get to the cranberry, you'll see...

Also a fan of strong flavors. I'll try variants and see how it goes.

> One caveat about quartering tangerines is that you will be exposing the
> liqueur to the dreaded white pith (even if just at the edges of the
> quarters). You may find it more useful to throw peels and juice in a
> jar, since I can't imagine you're going to get any nice flavors from the
> inner membranes or seeds

Possibly true. Though didn't you discover you needed the pulp, not
just the juice, in pomegranate liqueur at least?

> If you get a good tangerine recipe, try tossing in a tablespoon or two
> of grated ginger. ... our orange-ginger sorbet is so amazingly good that a
> comparable liqueur would have to be, too...

Sounds fantastic. Since I'll be making ginger liqueur as well anyway,
the first attempt may be just to mix the two in different proportions
to get a sense of how much of each flavor to use in a combined
version.

> > And I'm tempted to infuse limes into tequila, but I know too much
> > about good tequila to do it with the cheap stuff...

> Simple, light infusions should be done with good stuff, I'll agree.
> It's only when you get to the level of calling something a liqueur does
> the required quality go down. That is, when you're drinking more fruit
> than booze.

Even so, I just can't quite see making a lime/tequila liqueur out of
Cuervo Gold. I'll at *least* have to get something that's not a
mixto...

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to let you know how it
goes. We've now collected 7L of vodka, 2L, a dozen jars, and 1000
coffee filters, so we will probably begin experimenting this weekend.
Costco is a heck of a resource. :-) Very much looking forward to it!

Ev