Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2[_2_] Nancy2[_2_] is offline

Default Question on "White Trash Cooking"

On Mar 21, 1:13*pm, Lenona > wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:29*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>

> > I disagree with almost everything you said. *You're not *totally* off,
> > but mostly just listing stereotypes.

> Sorry I didn't put in quotes......MICKLER was the author of what I
> quoted.
>
> I DID say "more from the first book," so I didn't think I needed to
> make it clear that I wasn't the author.
>
> Anyway, I can tell some of the recipes would be awful to almost anyone
> who didn't grow up with them, but a few are quite good, such as the
> banana pudding and the corned beef hash. The salmon pie wasn't bad
> either.

Heck, if salmon pie is like my recipe which is like a salmon quiche,
it would be delicious. I wasn't necessarily commenting on the recipes
themselves, just the supercilious inaccuracy of this description of
white trash cooking. ("If someone asked me what sets WhiteTrash
cooking aside from other kinds of cooking, I would have to name three
of the ingredients:
saltmeat, cornmeal, and molasses. Every vegetable eaten is seasoned
with saltmeat, bacon or ham. Cornbread, made with pure cornmeal, is a
must with every meal, especially if there's pot liquor. And many
foods
are rolled in cornmeal before they are fried. Of course nothing makes
cornbread better than a spoon or two of bacon drippings and molasses.
For the sweetest pies and pones you ever sunk a tooth into, molasses
is the one ingredient you can't find a substitute for. And a little
bit of it, used on the side, can top off the flavors of most Southern
food, even a day-old biscuit.")

N.