Evan

Default Brandy rec for liqueur-making?

Donna Rose > wrote in message nk.net>...
> In article >,
> says...
> >In addition to some clear vodka-based recipes cut with plenty of
> >simple syrup, I want to try to make a more intense, Grand Marnier-like
> >brandy-based liqueur.
> >

> I'd love to see your Grand-Marnier recipe. What sort of vodka-based
> liqueurs are you making?

Well, really I'm guessing at it. One of my primary sources is Gunther
Anderson's lovely liqueur-making website:
http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs.htm.

My attempt to get a tangerine-flavored version of a Grand Marnier-like
liqueur will probably look something like this:

* rinds of 8 or so tangerines, just the colored rind with no white
pith
* 2.5 cups of brandy
(optional - a small amount of spice, possibly including a single pod
or seed of cardamom and/or coriander, or a sliver off the end of a
cinnamon stick)
* .75 cups of orange blossom honey
* .75 cups of simple syrup made from light brown sugar and filtered
water

Put tangerine rinds, brandy, and spice into a mason jar and steep in
the back of a cabinet for about a month. Remove solids and filter
twice through coffee filters. Boil honey and brown sugar syrup
together, skimming off beeswax foam. Cool the mixed syrup, add to the
infused brandy, and put back in the cabinet in a sealed mason jar to
age for at least 2 months. Remove and filter again. Should make
about 1 liter of 50-proof liqueur.

Variants to try are all honey or sugar instead of a mix, and altering
the amount of tangerine rind.

As for the vodka-based ones, I want to try infusing whole pierced
tangerines or tangerine quarters into vodka, thus including some of
the juice. Either keeping that just as a flavored vodka, or mixed
50-50 with a simple syrup of white sugar for a clear, sweet 40-proof
liqueur more like triple sec.

I just love tangerines, and nobody seems to sell a good tangerine
liqueur these days. :-)

Various other flavors I plan to try are ginger, cranberry, and lemon.

And I'm tempted to infuse limes into tequila, but I know too much
about good tequila to do it with the cheap stuff...