The Ranger

Default Brandy rec for liqueur-making?

Evan > wrote in message
om...
> This weekend my housemate and I are going to try some homemade
> liqueur-making.

[snip]
> I want to try to make a more intense, Grand Marnier-like
> brandy-based liqueur.
>
> However, I know next to nothing about brandy. Obviously
> I don't want to spend top dollar for an experimental recipe,
> but I don't want to cut it too cheap either lest the product
> be doomed from the start. :-)
>
> So, what brandies would you suggest for an upstart homemade
> liqueur hobbyist?

Christian Brothers' brandy; versatile and if you ruin a couple batches you
won't choke on the cost.

If all you want is fruit-infused brandy, though, Clear Creek and DeKuyper
both make good alternatives. The Clear Creek apple 8 year is a fine dessert
brandy. SWMBO prefers DeKuper Apricot over French Vanilla ice cream.

The Ranger