Todd Burnside

Default are shaker cups washed?

Hey guys, hopefully I can shed some light on your question. I've been a
bartender for 15 years in a variety of bar atmospheres: bars, nightclubs,
restaurants, etc. you name it, I've just about done it. The place I work in
now is kind of an upscale sports bar, but we also have live music and a DJ.
We have your standard 3 sink set up. The first has hot soapy water and a
built in scrub brush. The second is filled w/ rinse water, and the third has
water and a sanitizer solution. I usually work with multiple shakers at the
same time (3 large- like for multiples of the same drink or shooters, & 3
small- which make one normal size drink each). By having more than one of
each on hand I can assure that I'll always have a clean one. After I use one
it goes right in the sink. No matter how busy it is it only takes a few
seconds to wash them out so it's not a big deal. Washing a shaker out is
better than having to deal w/ someone whose Bombay Sapphire martini comes
back because it tastes like peach schnapps. I have worked in places in the
past where I didn't have the 3 sinks available, and in that situation, I'd
just make the best of it by washing w/ dish soap & hot water. If I even
didn't have that available, I'd just rinse it w/ hot water or club soda
until the odor of the previous drink was gone. Hope I helped ...

Todd

"Richard Hurwitz" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm not a pro bartender, but I've watched dozens of them shake my
> martinis. Sometimes they do a quick rinse. I think the bartenders have
> a special solution for rinsing, or maybe it's just fresh water. You
> need to get rid of the flavors of the gin botanicals before you shake a
> vodka, and vice versa. A quick rinse is enough to do it. I wouldn't
> worry about germs. Alcohol---
>
> Pepmax wrote:
>
> > I have a question I hope pro bartenders could answer. When bartenders

use
> > those shaker cups for making drinks, do they wash them after each type

of
> > drink made? If so, how do they wash them (with just water as a quick

rinse