Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Brinkman single stack smoker

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

Any suggestions from past experiences?

Steve