Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lenona Lenona is offline

Default Question on "White Trash Cooking"

The sequel was "Sinkin Spells, Hot Flashes, Fits and Cravins." (It has
a lot of recipes for mass gatherings, unlike the first. It also has
long tales by Southerners.)

There are also the books "The Treasury of White Trash Cooking" and
"White Trash Cooking II."

I found out that the main differences between "Sinkin Spells, Hot
Flashes, Fits and Cravins" and "The Treasury of White Trash Cooking"
is that the latter has 138 extra pages of recipes and an extra set of
photos. The former includes fan reviews, including ones from Harper
Lee and the late actress Helen Hayes. It also includes a preface by
the late North Carolina publisher Jonathan Williams.

What I want to know is, what, if anything, is different about "White
Trash Cooking II"?

And for those who might be interested, in the original "White Trash
Cooking," the late Ernest M. Mickler wrote:

"Never in my whole put-together life could I write down on paper a
hard, fast definition of White Trash. Because, for us, as for our
[American] southern White Trash cooking, there are no hard and fast
rules. We don't like to be hemmed in! But the first thing you've got
to understand is that there's white trash and there's White Trash.
Manners and pride separate the two. Common white trash has very little
in the way of pride, and no manners to speak of, and hardly any
respect for anybody or anything. But where I come from in North
Florida you never failed to say 'yes ma'm' and 'no sir,' never sat on
a made-up bed (or put your hat on it) never opened someone else's
icebox, never left food on your plate, never left the table without
permission, and never forgot to say 'thank you' for the teeniest
favor. That's the way the ones before us were raised and that's the
way they raised us in the South...."

And, from Jonathan Williams' 2008 obit:

"His curmudgeonly affinity for the low-brow led, in 1986, to the
publication by Jargon of Ernest Mickler's 'White Trash Cooking,' with
recipes for delicacies like cooter pie, okra omelets and potato-chip
sandwiches. New York publishers initially declined to buy the
manuscript unless the author changed the title to something like 'Poor
Southern Cooking.' When Mr. Mickler refused, Mr. Williams gave him a
$1,000 advance and ordered a modest 5,000-copy first printing. It was
a best seller and was the only seriously profitable Jargon
publication."

Lenona.