Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: BioDy and Organic wines, plus 78 Poyferre and 03 TC Roussanne

Thursday was lemon sole meuniere, roasted kohlrabi, and roasted okra; wine was the 2003 Tablas Creek Roussanne. Creamy, a bit oily, honied fruit with melon notes. This isn't bad, but I'm just not a big fan of Rhone white varieties, I'm a tad bored. B-

Friday dinner was Keller's Bouchon chicken with roast vegetables and a salad, I opened a 1978 Leoville-Poyferre. A recent purchase, upon inspection I had noticed one depressed cork (and bottle was a bit lower fill that others, I'd say HS). Sure enough, cork was very very loose, when I started to use AhSo it started to slide in, I instead hooked with end of worm and pulled it out. But the wine was actually intact- a little ashtray with the cigarbox, but still some cassis fruit. Tannins are gone, acid remains, but not harsh. Tobacco, cedar, earth. Definitely not a powerful wine, but for my tastes a perfectly acceptable lighter styled claret (others might not like as much, I see that Parker gave it an 80 and a drinkup 30 years ago). If this is the bottle with iffy cork, I'm happy. I carried along to wine group where it held well for hours. B/B+

On to Marc's for our local non-serious wine group, theme was "Organic or Biodynamic, not necessarily certified": About 6 PM Marc had sent a note saying "hey, don't eat dinner, I made pulled pork" but my chicken was already in oven. I still managed to down some delicious pork, as well as some good cheeses. The wines (blind):

White- Fred had brought a starter. Round, honey/lemon cough drop, others liked but I thought short. My guess was Ugni Blanc. 2009 Marcillet Bourgogne Aligote. C+

Red #1 - we have had this before, the shape of bottle gave it away. Herby, ripe red fruit, a spicy edge. 2009 Mas de Gourgonnier (Baux de Provence). B

Red #2 - I wasn't guessing as it was mine, fresh and lightbodied for Bordeaux, Fred and Marc got Bordeaux pretty fast. In a nice place, sweet blackcurrent, smoke, lead pencil. 2002 Ch. Grolet "Tete de Cuvee" (Cotes du Bourg). B+

Red #3- grapey, jam and vanilla, very international, I thought maybe Rhone varieties, not even close. 2006 Viticcio "Lucius" Chianti Classico Riserva C+

Red #4- red fruit, garrique, that geranium thing that I get from Pineau d'Aunis and Loire gamay, but Fred says no, I eventually get closer with a CdR guess. 2006 La Selve (Ardeche) B

Red #5 - this time Fred guesses Loire Gamay, I say Loire Cab Franc on lighter side. Fresh red berries, earth, tobacco, just a hint of green pepper.
2009 Breton "Franc de Pied" Bourgueil. B+

Red #6 - some tough tannins, dark fruits, a bretty edge, some green, no clue re origin, I'm surprised when it's the (oops, missed vintage) Herve Souhaut Syrah (Ardeche). I've liked these more before. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.