PC Consumer

Default Homemade Amaretto?

Gunther Anderson wrote:

[snip]

> Oh, and in general, my advice is to experiment. Make one just like the
> original recipe, and make one with maple syrup, and make one with more
> vodka, or reduced sugar, and so forth. They'll all be drinkable, but
> you get to decide which one you like best. And you can always add other
> ingredients if you think they're called for.
>
> Gunther Anderson

Thanks for the comments, Gunther. Nice site...
I plan to experiment with some liqueurs, but probably without any desire
to mock specific products like di Saronno.

I'm concerned about the possibliliy for me (a beginner with a low
budget) to imitate the flavor/quality of di Saronno without much
experimentation, but good advice. Is it possible, or should I buy the
real thing?

Is it possible for even an experienced liqueur maker to come close to di
Saronno? I've heard that it is a top quality amaretto without much
competition.

I assume that anything over 2/3 of the 'real' price would probably not
be worth the effort and gas. I might break even, or worse, spend more
than the cost of the real product. I have also considered a fresh bottle
and cork, which I would need to order by mail, or make a little trip...