Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Salt for Salt (was brining a brisket)

On Mar 17, 8:58*am, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> So I started thinking....... then I measured:
>
> Pure sodium chloride: * 2.165 gr/cm^3 ("grain density")

> Diamond Crystal kosher: 0.599 gr/cm^3
> Morton's kosher: * * * *1.048 gr/cm^3

> So, brand matters for kosher salt.

This matches my wife's report of the Morton's being "saltier". When
asked for specifics she said it was flakier, and "she didn't like it".
It must be more dense and the crystalization done differently.

Interesting. Thank you, was initially going to dissmiss this as an
anal retentive wank fest. And though it just might still be a wee bit
anal retentive <bg>, that's damn good info.

Thank you Zizzaacs.