Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default Always put quotes around "vegan"

"Rupert" > wrote
> On Mar 17, 3:50 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>> > What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

>> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
>> exaltation and sanctimony.

> I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
> is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
> exaltation and sanctimony.

This issue of collateral death and suffering does not exist in the conscious
awareness of the vast majority of vegans. When it is introduced to them, two
reactions outnumber all others by a wide margin, the first is denial, the
second is 'I'm still doing better than meat eaters'. Concern about the death
and suffering they just became aware of virtually never comes into it, and
certainly not anywhere near to the level of the concern they claim to have
for farmed animals. This is compelling evidence that veganism is primarily
about maintaining a holy image, by the implication that the diet and
lifestyles of most people is tantamount to barbarism. This is the ugly part,
there's almost a Muslim-like zeal to it.