Posted to alt.food.barbecue
monroe, of course monroe, of course is offline

Default remote thermometer for WSM

wrote:

> I was just thinking that when I started cooking outdoors eight
> years ago, it never entered my mind to ask what brand of
> therm to buy. I spotted some knockoffs on overstock.com
> and bought three for $6/ea. I sold one to Even in Citrus Park
> and the other two are still going strong. There's just not
> much to be said for consumer level products. They're all
> made as cheaply as possible. I have no idea who made
> the ones I have. They have no name on them, but they
> work as well as any.

El Cheapo Taylors from Tuesday Morning are what I'm using-goin on 5 or 6
yrs now. The Maverick dual I got backintheday (model ET7, IIRC)was a
total absolute abject&complete ripoff. The thing was topoftheline
expensive as hell and it NEVER worked right,even after I shelled $$ out
for the heavyduty probes for it. I ended up crushing it under the car
wheel in whatcha might call a 'snit of pique'.
Sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for at all!

monroe(also have a Fluke 52 K-type dual thermocouple for pit temp if
need be)