Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:50:46 -0800 (PST), Rupert >
wrote:

>On Mar 8, 10:22*pm, dh@. wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:18:44 -0800 (PST), Rupert >
>> wrote:

>> >I don't have any way of knowing, do I?

>> * * It's easy to figure that sometimes beef causes fewer and sometimes soy does,
>> depending on the conditions. It's a safe enough bet that there are grass raised
>> cattle who kill little or no other animals, and also that there are situations
>> in which soy production results in many deaths. About the only time soy does not
>> involve many deaths is when there are not many animals in the area because
>> they've been killed off in the past.
>>
>> >You refuse to give *any* estimate at all for the death rate associated
>> >with one serving of tofu.

>> * * So do you.

>Yes, but I'm not making any claims which would require such an
>estimate to back them up.

You're being critical of mine, which is close enough that you need to come
up with an estimate of your own. You're afraid to confess to yourself that there
are any though, which is why you're very afraid to make any sort of estimate.

>> >If you do not have any idea of any range
>> >into which the number falls, then you're not in a position to make any
>> >comparisons.

>> * * Neither are you. That being the case it doesn't make sense for you to have
>> made your extreme dietary choice (veg*nism) based on something you don't know
>> anything about.
>> . . .
>>

>Modern animal farming causes a lot of suffering. Also, most animal
>food products require more crop production,

If you don't like that then it's reason for you TO buy grass raised
products, not a reason not to.
.. . .
>I am not in a position to know what difference it would make if I
>replaced some of the tofu in my diet with 100% grass-fed beef (and I
>think it would take a bit of effort to make sure it really was 100%
>grass-fed beef all year round) and I have never claimed to be in a
>position to know. You, on the other hand, have claimed to be in a
>position to know, but it looks like you actually aren't, so you should
>stop making the claim.

I'm in a position to know that some beef involves less deaths than some soy
products, and just by doing that I have surpassed you by a LONG way regarding
this particular issue. You still have not been able to even get to the starting
line. Throughout your entire life you STILL haven't gotten to the starting line
yet, and even if you eventually do that still doesn't mean you'll be able to
move on. To get "to" the starting line you would have to acknowledge the fact to
yourself that sometimes beef involves fewer deaths than soy. To move on from
that point would involve considering particular examples of when it does and
when it does not.