Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Quaker Oats cooking directions

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I picked up a bag of Quaker Oats large flake oatmeal yesterday. I was
> surprised to see "Cooks in 4-5 minutes" printed in the front of the bag.
> Large flake oats usually take more like 15 minutes to cook. When I
> prepared to make some for breakfast this morning I looked for the
> instructions and had some confusion. Among all the small print on the
> side of the crinkled bag was a list of numbered steps. I scanned down to
> the bottom and step 3 was "COOK uncovered for the specified amount of
> time."
>
> I had to go searching again. Stove Top Instructions it said for single
> servings cook 10-15 minutes, for 4 servings cook 20-25 minutes.
>
> Then... I spotted the microwave instructions, and it says 4-5 minutes
> for one serving.
>
> I have been cooking oatmeal porridge for decades. It was early morning.
> I got thrown off by that 4-5 minute thing. I hate to imagine what it
> would be like for someone who has never cooked oats before to try to
> figure out how to cook this item, which I always thought easy so simple.

I've always been peeved by this. It used to be that there was large
print all over the package saying, "COOKS IN FIVE MINUTES!". But when
you read the instructions, it does say five minutes, but then you need
to let it sit until done. If you eat it after five minutes, it tastes
uncooked to me. I cook it for 20 minutes. I boil the water, and after
adding the oats I turn the stove all the way down. This is for regular
oats in the US.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA