Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Coffe makers

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:06:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffee makers these days? French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.
> http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. Are they worth it?
>
> Has anyone had a big revelation? Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

AFAIC, a French press is only good for dinner parties. I've used Mr.
Coffee at work. I don't have a problem with the way it brews coffee,
but my home coffee makers have always been a step up from Mr C. DD
gave me an $80-100 Krups two Christmas's ago after the heater on my
old one got weak and I got tired of drinking lukewarm coffee.
Frankly, other than how hot the coffee is - I can't tell the
difference. It's much nicer looking than a Mr. Coffee, but the
quality of a pot of coffee depends on what quality the coffee you
start with is and how much of it you use per cup.

FWIW, my favorite coffee shop hand drips each cup individually and
theirs is superb - so you might want to consider going back to the old
fashioned hand drip method and dripping it directly into a thermal
carafe for better heat retention.