Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coffe makers

On 3/11/2012 4:45 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
>> about coffee makers these days? French press still seems to be a
>> favorite, but what about the high end drips?

> Fresh ground coffee makes a difference, so I recommend you purchase
> something with a built-in grinder. The shelf life of roasted coffee
> beans is much longer than the shelf life of ground coffee.
>
> Cuisinart makes something called a Grind-n-Brew which we used for many
> years before switching to espresso, and we found it an excellent
> machine. We did have a couple of problems with it but the customer
> service from the company was exemplary - they replaced a few parts for
> us and finally sent us an entirely new machine when ours was three years
> old, all at no charge to us and all without any hassle. We still have
> that machine and if we were to need to buy a new coffee maker again,
> we'd buy another. They were $150 when we bought ours - looks like
> they're $100 or less now.

I found that the $20 Cuisinart coffee grinder works well with my (about
$20) Mr Coffee and also with its replacement the similarly priced Sears
that I mentioned. Despite what others have said in the past, I keep the
beans in the freezer and I've not noticed any lack of flavor. It's true
that I don't keep the prepared coffee warm but I only drink one mug
after dinner and one at breakfast, which is half the previous night's
coffee heated in the microwave for a minute and a half.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.