Posted to alt.food.diabetic
KROM KROM is offline

Default Stevia

every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

KROM

"adiabic" wrote in message
.com...

I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I read
the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as 'Maltodextrin'.
So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
sugar (sucrose)?

I tried to find out and read
http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php
which says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the GI
of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras the
GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.

This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so why
did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?

Bad move if you ask me.