Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Coffe makers

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Has anyone had a big revelation? Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.

I take coffee fairly seriously. I buy green beans
and roast them myself. So what do I brew in?

I put the ground coffee in a big mug, pour the hot
water over it, stir, then pour into two glass jars
with filters folded over their mouths. There's no
support for the filters, but they're larger diameter
than the mouths of the jars, so folding the extra
material over the rim creates a collar that holds
them in place. I've tried filter funnels, but
they're way too slow. I use two jars to speed
things up even more. I rinse out the mug and pour
the two jars of filtered coffee into it.

Other than my coffee mug, a spoon, and two recycled
jars, no equipment is needed.

I've heard that coffee should be steeped for four
minutes, but after stirring I pour the coffee into
the filters immediately. I've tried steeping, but
I haven't found any difference in doing that, except
it makes the mug too hot to hold comfortably.

I drink quite a bit of coffee these days, about 4
or 5 mugs of very strong coffee daily.